Since 1994, World Teachers’ Day has been celebrated annually on October 5th. The day commemorates the anniversary of the signing of the 1966 UNESCO/ILO recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers, which is the main framework for addressing teachers’ rights and responsibilities on a global scale.
Around the world, celebrations honoring teachers bring together governments, multi- and bilateral organizations, NGOs, private sectors, teachers, and experts in the field of teaching. The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 4 is dedicated to advancing education. Since target 4.c recognizes teachers as key to the achievement of the global 2030 Education Agenda, World Teachers Day has become an occasion to mark teachers’ achievements and reflect on ways to address remaining challenges facing the teaching profession, such as an acute shortage of teachers. According to the UNESCO Institute of Statistics, 69 million teachers are needed to help us achieve universal primary and secondary education by 2030.
Every day, ACEI supports a network of 50,000 education professionals around the world. Our programs empower teachers with tools to tackle their most pressing education challenges, and include:
The Center for Education Diplomacy is the first and only initiative to develop and promote Education Diplomacy, which uses the skills of diplomacy to build effective cooperation across sectors and among diverse actors to solve education challenges;
Global Schools First, a whole- school assessment framework that looks at the integration of global citizenship education in primary schools around the world.
The Innovation Exchange initiative promotes transformative solutions that meet the needs and challenges of our world. Through our publications, we share innovative trends, ideas, and practices inspiring educators, and education advocates around the world.
How can you celebrate teachers this year? Below are some suggested ways to honor teachers during the upcoming months:
- Celebrate teachers during a school assembly and present certificates of appreciation
- Create social media campaigns honoring teachers and encourage teachers, parents, and caregivers to join
- Visit or send a card to a current or former teacher
- Send a card to your child’s teacher
- Collaborate with others to decorate a teacher’s classroom or a teachers’ lounge
- Volunteer in a classroom
- Compile photos from a teacher’s class into a book or video to share
- Purchase books for the school library and attach bookplates with the teacher’s name
- Coordinate with local business to provide gift certificates for goods or services.
- Support teachers by designating a gift to Association for Childhood Education International today!