Sephiroth is the main antagonist of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VII Remake.
Sephiroth is the archnemesis of the main characters Cloud Strife and Tifa Lockhart. He is a recurring character in the Final Fantasy world.
Sephiroth, before his fall into insanity, was somewhat a cold and composed person, his coldness made him antisocial. His awareness of his powers makes him confident but not to the point of arrogance. He was known for his staunch loyalty towards Shinra Inc. His achievements in battle garnered him gain great fame and respect from his subordinates as Shinra’s greatest war hero.
Sephiroth ‘Final Fantasy VII’ Quotes
Here are some of the best quotes from Sephiroth who is thought to be one of the best antagonists of the Final Fantasy world.
1. “And it’s Hojo of Shinra that produced these monsters. Mutated living organisms produced by Mako energy. That’s what these monsters really are.”
2. “Sephiroth: After a long sleep the time, time has… come… …Who are you?
Sephiroth: the time……is now.”
– ‘Final Fantasy VII’.
3. “Only death awaits you all, but do not fear. For is it through death that a new spirit energy is born. Soon, you will live again as a part of me.”
4. “I am always by your side. Come. Splendid. A treasure house of knowledge… Look well. At that which adds to the knowledge of… I am becoming one with the Planet.”
5. “The ability to change one’s looks, voice, and words, is the power of Jenova.”
6. “Cloud, lend me your strength. Let us defy destiny together.”
8. “I want to take you back to your real self. The one who gave me the Black Materia that day……”
9. “What I want, Cloud, is to sail the darkness of the cosmos with this planet as my vessel, just as my mother did long ago. Then one day we’ll find a new planet. And on its soil, we’ll create a shining future.”
― Sephiroth, ‘Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children’.
10. “On your knees. I want you to beg for forgiveness.”
11. “Ohh…where did you find this strength?”
― Sephiroth, ‘Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children’.
12. “What I want, Cloud, is to sail the darkness of the cosmos with this Planet as my vessel — just as my mother did long ago. Then one day we’ll find a new planet, and on its soil we’ll create a shining future.”
― Sephiroth, ‘Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children’.
13. “I will… never be a memory.”
14. “At the end of their harsh, hard journey, they would find the Promised Land and supreme happiness. But, those that disliked the journey appeared. Those who stopped their migrations built shelters and elected to lead an easier life.”
15. “I will meld with it all. I will become one with it…… it will become one with me.”
16. “You ignorant traitor. I’ll tell you. This planet belonged to the Cetra. Cetra was a itinerant race. They would migrate in, settle the Planet, then move on…”
17. “Ha, ha, ha……my sadness? What do I have to be sad about? I am the chosen one. I have been chosen to be the leader of this Planet.”
18. “You need not remind me. It was the crowning moment of our time together. But that was then, and this is now.”
19. “My mother is Jenova. She died right after she gave birth to me. My father… What does it matter…?”
20. “How does it feel? It’s your first time in your hometown in a long time right? So how does it feel? I wouldn’t know because I don’t have a hometown.”
21. “The knowledge and wisdom of the Ancients is held in the materia. Anyone with this knowledge can freely use the powers of the land and the Planet. That knowledge interacts between ourselves and the Planet, calling up magic.”
22. “How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.”
23. “Whether your words…are lies created to deceive me… or the truth that I have sought all my life… It makes no difference. You will rot.”
Sephiroth ‘Dissidia Final Fantasy’ Quotes
Here are some Sephiroth Dissidia quotes that are amazing!
24. “I fear not death. I’ve already seen hell.”
25. “Remember who brought this pain upon you.”
26. “Let us see who is the best warrior.”
27. “Can you stop me? Everything returns to the planet. I want you to beg for forgiveness. Into the depths of darkness. All becomes one with me.”
28. “Open a new door. Stop pretending you’re sad. I…will never be a memory. Only the chosen may survive.”
Sephiroth ‘Kingdom Hearts 2’ Quotes
These Sephiroth quotes are from the popular Kingdom Hearts series which is a collaboration between Square Enix and Disney.
29. “I see… He wants to meet me again. Then I should give him what he wants. That last bit of light is always the hardest to snuff out.”
30. “I admit you’re very skilled… But apparently, Cloud is the only one who can eliminate me. Tell Cloud to come here. Tell him Sephiroth is looking to settle things.”
31. “Absurd. Defeating me is meaningless. You know that more than anyone, Cloud. No matter how many times I fall, your darkness keeps calling me back!”
32. “Is that right? Let’s see what this light of yours can do.”
33. “Face it—you turn your back on the present and live in the past. Because the light of the present is too much!”
Quotes From Other Character
Great quotes from other major characters from the Final Fantasy series.
34. “Two years ago … think of the strength we all had when we fought that last battle. It’s only been a couple years, but already that feeling is gone. But Cloud, I think he’s found it again.”
—Tifa Lockhart, ‘Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children’.
35. “Sephiroth’s strength is unreal. He is far stronger in reality than any story you might have heard about him.”
— Cloud Strife.
36. “I just want to do everything in my power to help. All of you – and the planet.”
— Aerith Gainsborough.
37. “Defeat Sephiroth… Defeat the son of that beloved woman… Am I on the verge of committing another sin…? Or am I atoning as best I can for only watching…?”
— Vincent Valentine.
38. “Those strong feelings we had two years ago during the final battle… It seems as if they have dulled somewhat two years down the road. But now it seems as if they’ve been resurrected in Cloud.”
39. “I offered the woman with my child to Professor Gast’s Jenova project. When Sephiroth was still in her womb, we infused him with Jenova’s cells…”
— Professor Hojo.
40. “Is it right to go on? They’re all gone. Died for the planet. Will they … will they ever forgive me? … Right now, I don’t really know.”
— Barret Wallace.
- Good to see you, Cloud. (English Version)
- It’s been a while, Cloud (Japanese version, same as above)
- I’ve thought of a wonderful present for you…shall I give you despair?
- On your knees… I want you to beg for forgiveness!
- I will…never be a memory…
- Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away. to Cloud
- The last thoughts of the geostigma’s dead. Those remnants will join the Lifestream and girdle the planet. Choking it… corroding it. What I want, Cloud, is to sail the darkness of the cosmos with this planet as my vessel, just as my mother did long ago. Then one day we’ll find a new planet. And on its soil, we’ll create a shining future.
- Your geostigma is gone. That’s too bad. to Cloud
- Well, that’s up to you Cloud.
- Ohh…where did you find this strength? to Cloud
15 “Good, Cloud. Very Good. Hold On To That Hatred.”
Sephiroth makes his presence quite palpable in the early goings of Final Fantasy VII Remake, appearing to Cloud in a vision that confuses the ex-SOLDIER to no end.
The manned in which Sephiroth quotes this phrase makes it infinitely clear that Sephiroth has some sort of hold over Cloud’s mind. This suspicion is only confirmed as players play through this title.
14 “This Planet… Is My Birthright.”
After merging with the lifestream and JENOVA, Sephiroth’s one-track mind set its sights on Planet Earth, boldly proclaiming that the Planet was always his for the taking.
It’s not just the nature of this statement that’s chilling, but the timing of it as well. After the fall of the Sector 7 Plate, the party decides to head to Aerith’s house in the Sector 7 Slums…only for Cloud to be suddenly assaulted by visions of Sephiroth quoting this menacing line.
13 “Mother. The Days Have Come Again.”
Sephiroth’s quotes in Final Fantasy VII Remake are truly chilling at times. Perhaps the scariest of the lot comes right when the player encounters Red XIII for the first time…only for Sephiroth to make his unwanted appearance once again.
The truly scary part about this scene is that Sephiroth arguably has his strongest hold over Cloud during this moment, forcing the ex-SOLDIER to even utter eerie words while under the influence of his nemesis.
12 “Fate Is Not To Be Taken Lightly, Cloud.”
The fight against Sephiroth is easily one of the highlights of the entire game, and rightfully so. It is the final boss fight of an ambitious remake that doesn’t pull any punches when it comes to these climactic encounters.
The first line that Sephiroth utters when the fight begins is indicative of how immense this challenge is going to be. Sephiroth doesn’t hold back when it comes to unleashing an onslaught of attacks against the party.
11 “Can You Not See Your Future?”
During the fight against Sephiroth, the player has the opportunity to hear this rather chilling line when Aerith and the One-Winged Angel exchange blows. The line he mentions makes it infinitely clear that Sephiroth has some sort of cognition when it comes to the future.
The fact that he’s aware of the events in the future — something that fans of the original title are painfully familiar with — is a rather chilling notion. It adds an additional layer of menace to Sephiroth’s character.
10 “The Reunion Is Nothing To Fear.”
Throughout the game, Cloud has several hallucinations of Sephiroth, leading up to their reunion. When he and Aerith were getting to know each other, they encountered a strange man in a black cloak. His groans frightened the children around them. After he collapsed, he grabbed Cloud, triggering one of the ex-soldier’s hallucinations.
Sephiroth quoted this line as he stood up, taking the place of the cloaked man. After the hallucination ended, Sephiroth disappeared and the man walked away. Cloud went on to tell Aerith that he believes Sephiroth is still alive, despite what she and the rest of Midgar believed.
9 “I Am Your Everything.”
In between being separated from Barret and Tifa due to one of Shinra’s machines attacking them and Aerith’s flowers breaking his fall, Cloud had another encounter with Sephiroth. Here, the antagonist utters one of his many famous quotes in Final Fantasy VII Remake.
This time, Cloud saw another version of himself who wanted to make sure he wasn’t injured. Asking who he was actually speaking to, Sephiroth responds, surprising Cloud. He wakes up to the sound of Aerith’s voice.
8 “A Touching Reunion.”
Towards the end of the game, Cloud, Barret, Tifa, Aerith, and Red XIII find Jenova. The real Sephiroth appears in front of them. Cloud charges at the One-Winged Angel as his head begins to hurt and their blades clash, finally reuniting. Sephiroth pushes him back, causing Cloud to fall down from another great height.
7 “You Are Too Weak To Save Anyone. Not Even Yourself.”
Before joining Aerith after her flowers broke his fall, Cloud had actually met her one other time. In the beginning of the game, the Whispers seemed to attack her. As she turned to face him, Sephiroth appeared behind Aerith and touched her shoulder, causing time to stand still. He walked over to Cloud and said this line.
Cloud’s head began to hurt until he heard Aerith asking if he was okay. Walking away from her, she ends up giving him one of her flowers. Little did the two know how much they would end up caring for each other.
6 “Those Who Look With Clouded Eyes See Nothing But Shadows.”
After leaving Shinra and battling against its members on the highway, Avalanche had their final encounter with Sephiroth, leading to the final battle of the game. They saw his feathers fall down from above them as he slowly descended to meet them. Aerith told Sephiroth that everything about him is wrong, to which he responded with this quote. Finally ready to fight him, Aerith, Cloud, and the rest of the party followed Sephiroth into a portal he created.
5 “Cloud, Lend Me Your Strength. Let Us Defy Destiny Together.”
Sephiroth’s goal has always been to defy destiny and destroy the world in order to become one with it. Throughout the game, he tried to convince Cloud to join him rather than retaliate. He made his final attempt of this in the middle of their last strife, to which Cloud refuses, leaps back, and points the Buster Sword, or whichever weapon players have equipped, at the One-Winged Angel.
4 “You Need Not Remind Me. It Was The Crowning Moment Of Our Time Together. But That Was Then, And This Is Now.”
Early in the game, Cloud sees Sephiroth and follows him into a burning alley. Thinking that he killed his former idol, Cloud was shocked to find Sephiroth alive. He was confused and told the One-Winged Angel that he killed him. This was Sephiroth’s response.
He went on to tell Cloud that the world was coming to an end. Cloud tried to attack him but Sephiroth and the flames surrounding them vanished. This was the first of many hallucinations.
3 “You Have Failed Again, I See. But Through Suffering, You Will Grow Strong. Isn’t That What You Want?”
After Shinra attacks Sector 7, many civilians, as well as members of Avalanche, are injured and dead. Unsure of what happened to his daughter, Marlene, Barret follows Cloud and Tifa to Aerith’s house, hoping that she is there. On their way, Cloud has another hallucination of Sephiroth, who walks towards him and puts his hand on Cloud’s shoulder before disappearing. The trio make their way to Aerith’s house, where Barret finds his daughter unharmed.
2 “That Which Lies Ahead Does Not Yet Exist. Our World Will Become A Part Of It One Day But I Will Not End, Nor Will I Have You End.”
In the final battle, Sephiroth faced against Cloud at the edge of creation. However, as he always relied on the man that once looked up to him, Sephiroth spared the ex-soldier and said these words. They both survive the strife, with Cloud and his fellow Avalanche members going on a new journey to defeat their enemy, which fans cannot wait to see in the second part of the remake.
1 “Seven Seconds Till The End. Time Enough For You. Perhaps. But What Will You Do With It? Let’s See.”
After Cloud refuses to join Sephiroth, they fight in an epic battle, resulting in Cloud’s weapon to be knocked from his hand. Behind him, Sephiroth leans in, murmuring these words into Cloud’s ear. Cloud turns around to find that Sephiroth is gone, with a single feather falling in his place. The true meaning behind these words are currently unknown as the world did not come to an end nor did either fighter. Fans have come up with multiple ideas on what Sephiroth could be referring to, making the next title more mysterious and intriguing. Players cannot wait to have this and many other questions answered.