Bad Friends Quotes
Losing a friend is probably the worst form of heartbreak.
After confiding in someone and telling them all of your secrets, it can be hard to let go and move on after they’ve done you wrong. Especially if you felt like this person was your best friend, it is devastating to cut them out of your life.
Growing up and losing friends go hand in hand. We see friends come and go; certain friends from high school may remain with us for a lifetime, while others just disappear after college begins. We make friends at the office who remain simply “work friends,” while some of our co-workers are worthy of a drink or two after hours.
Outgrowing friends is normal — we all need to find ourselves. The people we want in our corner will still be there and stay friends.
However, when you start to realize that certain so-called “friends” are actually bad news, it can be a huge bummer. Where are friends when you need them, especially when going through tough times in life?
It can help to read other people’s words, including quotes on bad friendships and quotes about being a bad friend.
Bad friendship quotes are quotes about what it’s like having a bad friend, or how a bad friend can make you feel, giving you vindication.
Now, a toxic friend means different things to different people, but a toxic best friend is one who always drags you down or makes you feel uncomfortable. They are very two-faced and make you feel worse when they are around by shaming you and gaslighting you.
A toxic friendship looks like one friend never offering support and compassion, but also trying to minimize your problems. They want you to focus on them by gaslighting you and damaging your self-esteem, manipulating and trying to control you. That’s what a toxic friendship looks like, and it’s not fun.
A negative friendship is just another word for a toxic friendship, but it’s one that drains you emotionally and mentally, and involves a toxic or negative friend taking a huge toll on your mental health.
In fact, there are ten things a friend can do that effectively kill the friendship: a toxic friend being a fault-finder, a wannabe therapist, self-absorbed, a copy-cat, a promise-breaker, a dangerous risk-taker, making everything a competition, draining energy, being an emotional abuser, and being a double-crosser.
We should all be advocates for second chances, but when it comes to a bad friend, one chance is all they should get before you kick them to the curb. We do not need negativity in our lives!
Here are 50 mean friend quotes about toxic friends that need to stay out of your life. If you find yourself giving someone who hurt you a million chances, know you’re giving them a million more times to stab you in the back.
Here are 50 bad friend quotes and sayings that you can resonate with.
1. “To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
2. “Fake friends; those who only drill holes under your boat to get it leaking; those who discredit your ambitions and those who pretend they love you, but behind their backs they know they are in to destroy your legacies.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
3. “Growing up means realizing a lot of your friends aren’t really your friends.”
4. “Enemy: A friend whose mask has fallen.” ― Bangambiki Habyarimana
5. “There are only two kinds of people who can drain your energy: those you love, and those you fear. In both instances, it is you who let them in. They did not force their way into your aura, or pry their way into your reality experience.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
6. “Sometimes friends are like pennies, two-faced and worthless.”
7. “Sometimes your dearest friend whom you reveal most of your secrets to becomes so deadly and unfriendly without knowing that they were not really your friend.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
8. “If you choose bad companions, no one will believe that you are anything but bad yourself.” ― Aesop
9. “I didn’t lose a friend, I just realized I never had one.”
10. “Narcissists are very retaliative if they believe another has achieved what they desire, exposed their insecurities, or refused to be under their control.” ― Lorraine Nilon
12. “Keeping bad company is like being in a germ-infested area. You never know what you’ll catch.” ― Frank Sonnenberg
13. “As we grow up, we realize it becomes less important to have a ton of friends, and more important to have real ones.”
13. “Handling toxic people is not an art, they will be the victim of their own toxicity.” ― P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
14. “Better realize when to move away from toxic people and toxic situations.” ― Deeksha Arora
15. “True friends will always find a way to help you. Fake friends will always find an excuse.”
16. “Toxicity at work, relationship or in life works as a slow poison which often ends its survivors as disillusioned or embittered.” ― Abhysheq Shukla
17. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them… but still move on without them.” ― Mandy Hale
18. “If you’ve ever met an energy vampire (and you probably have), you’ll get the distinct feeling that this person has an intense need to prey off the vitality of others. There is a kind of acute neediness present in energy vampires which can be quite overwhelming and depleting to those they come in contact with.” ― Mateo Sol
19. “A fake friend likes to see you do well, but not better than them.”
20. “Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate.” ― Mandy Hale
21. “My arm is weighted by the huge pile of clothing she’s hung over it. A moment of clarity comes over me. This isn’t what friendship is about, I know that now.” ― Dawn O’Porter
22. “One fake friend is more dangerous than 100 enemies.” — Shaquib Shaikh
23. “You don’t lose friends, because real friends can never be lost. You lose people masquerading as friends, and you’re better for it.” — Mandy Hale
24. “It makes no sense to try to extend a friendship that was only meant to be a season into a lifetime.” ― Mandy Hale
25. “I would rather be alone than with people who don’t care.” — Steve Price
26. “Let go of the people who dull your shine, poision your spirit, and bring your drama.” — Dr. Steve Maraboli
27. “You cannot spend the majority of your life with toxic people and expect to be happy.” — David Goggins
28. “Sometimes, you have to remove people without warning. We are getting too old to be explaining what they already know they are doing wrong.” — Farrah Gray
29. “In life, we never lose friends, we only learn who the true ones are.”
30. “To become a better you, secure your dreams from the jaws of people who discredit your ambitions.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
31. “People may not always tell you how they feel about you, but they will always show you. Pay attention.” — Keri Hilson
Subscribe to our newsletter.
32. “People who create their own drama deserve their own karma.”
33. “People inspire you or they drain you. Pick them wisely.” — Hans F. Hansen
34. “I no longer have the energy for meaningless friendships, forced interactions or unnecessary conversations.” — Joquesse Eugenia
35. “Sweetie, if you’re going to be two faced, at least make one of them pretty.” — Marilyn Monroe
36. “Sometimes you need to give up on people, not because you don’t care but because they don’t.” — Jennifer Green
37. “It took me way too long to realize that you shouldn’t stay friends with people who never ask how you’re doing.” — Drew Monson
Related Stories From YourTango:
38. “Remember me? I was your friend when you were single?”
39. “Don’t abuse your friends and expect them to consider it criticism.” — E. W. Howe
40. “An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.” — Buddha
41. “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family.”
42. “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” — Hussein Nishah
43. “Like arsenic, toxic people will slowly kill you. They kill your positive spirit and play with your mind and emotions. The only cure is to let them go.” — Dennisse Lisseth
44. “Be as sincere as you want your friends to be. Don’t lie out of your nose and expect your friends to be the kind people you are not. Fake attracts fake.”
45. “Most people want to see you do better, but not doing better than them.” — London Mond
46. “Controllers, abusers, and manipulative people don’t question themselves. They don’t ask themselves if the problem is them… they always say the problem is someone else.” — Darlene Quimet
47. “Friendships are meant to be enjoyable, not tense or anxiety-provoking.”
48. “Friendship is delicate as a glass, once broken it can be fixed but there will always be cracks.” — Waqar Ahmed
49. “A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.” — Arnold H. Glasow
50. “False friendship, like the ivy, decays and ruins the walls it embraces; but true friendship gives new life and animation to the object it supports.” — Richard Burton