Are you one of the millions of people that are fans of ABC’s award-winning, long-running TV drama Grey’s Anatomy? Below are Meredith Grey quotes that will walk you through the main character’s thoughts on life and love.
What’s your favorite Grey’s Anatomy episode?
Premiering in 2005, Grey’s Anatomy is a TV medical drama that centers around the lives of the employees at Seattle Grace Hospital. The main character, Meredith Grey, starts off as a medical resident. She strives to hold her own as she steps from behind the shadow of her mother, a former prominent general surgeon. For over 16 seasons, the audience follows the ups and downs of Grey’s life, love, and career.
Take a look at some of Meredith Grey’s most memorable moments throughout the series below.
Also check out these hilarious Dwight Schrute quotes that will help get you through the day.
Meredith Grey quotes about pain
1. “The reality is that pain is there to tell us something, and there’s only so much pleasure we can take without getting a stomachache. And maybe that’s okay. Maybe some fantasies are only supposed to live in our dreams.” – Meredith Grey
2. “When the ground gives way and your world collapses, maybe you just need to have faith. And trust that you can survive this. Maybe you just need to hold on tight. And no matter what, don’t let go.” – Meredith Grey
3. “Pain comes in all forms. The small twinge, a bit of soreness, the random pain, the normal pains we live with everyday. Then there is the kind of pain you can’t ignore. A level of pain so great that it blocks out everything else. ” – Meredith Grey
4. “Some wounds we carry with us everywhere and though the cuts long gone, the pain still lingers.” – Meredith Grey
5. “Pain, you just have to ride it out, hope it goes away on its own, hope the wound that caused it heals. There are no solutions, no easy answers. You just breathe deep and wait for it to subside.” – Meredith Grey
6. “Pain, you just have to fight through, because the truth is you can’t outrun it, and life always makes more.” – Meredith Grey
7. “You don’t have to be tough every minute of every day. It’s okay to let down your guard. In fact, there are moments when it’s the best thing you can possibly do — as long as you choose your moments wisely. – Meredith Grey
8. “Sometimes it takes a huge loss to remind you of what you care about the most. Sometimes you find yourself becoming stronger as a result, wiser, better to deal the next big disaster that comes along. Sometimes but not always.” – Meredith Grey
9. “There’s an end to every storm. Once all the trees have been uprooted. Once all the houses have been ripped apart. The wind will hush, the clouds will part, the rain will stop, the sky will clear in an instant. But only then, in those quiet moments after the storm, do we learn who was strong enough to survive it.” – Meredith Grey
10. “Letting go is the easy part, it’s the moving on that’s painful. So sometimes we fight it, trying to keep things the same. Things can’t stay the same though. At some point you just have to let it go. Move on. Because no matter how painful it is, it’s the only way we grow.” – Meredith Grey
11. “Too often, the thing you want most is the one thing you can’t have. Desire leaves us heartbroken, it wears us out. Desire can wreck your life. But as tough as wanting something can be, the people who suffer the most, are those who don’t know what they want.” – Meredith Grey
Meredith Grey quotes about love
12. “When we follow our hearts, when we choose not to settle. It’s funny, isn’t it? A weight lifts, the sun shines a little brighter, and for a brief moment, we find a little peace.” – Meredith Grey
13. “You think that true love is the only thing that could crush your heart, the thing that could take your life and light it up or destroy it.” – Meredith Grey
14. “So pick me. Choose me. Love me.” – Meredith Grey
15. “I think you can’t wait for someone to fly underneath you and save your life. I think you have to save yourself.” – Meredith Grey
16. “I think it is important to take the time to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can still hear you.” – Meredith Grey
17. “Maybe I do believe it, all this ‘meant to be’ stuff. Why not believe it, really? Who doesn’t want more romance in their life? Maybe it’s just up to us to make it happen. To show up and be meant for each other. At least that way you’ll find out for sure – if you’re meant to be or not.” – Meredith Grey
18. “The thing about love is, when it’s good, it’s so very good, and when it’s bad, it hurts so much.” – Meredith Grey
Don’t forget to also read these Dead Poets Society quotes and sayings that will make you think differently.
Meredith Grey quotes about life
19. “Maybe because when we see how little we actually need to survive, it makes us realize how powerful we actually are. To strip down to only what we need. To hang on to only what we can’t do without. Not just to survive, but to thrive.” – Meredith Grey
20. “When the bad things come, they come out of nowhere. The bad things come suddenly, with no warning. But we forget that sometimes that’s how the good things come too.” – Meredith Grey
21. “Just because we can live without something, it doesn’t mean we have to.” – Meredith Grey
22. “We have to be willing to give up what we used to believe. The more we’re willing to accept what is and not what we thought, we’ll find ourselves exactly where we belong.” – Meredith Grey
23. “When do you throw in the towel? Admit that a lost cause is sometimes just that? There comes a point when it all becomes too much. When we get too tired to fight anymore. So we give up. That’s when the real work begins. To find hope where there seems to be absolutely none at all.” – Meredith Grey
24. “Just when we think we’ve figured things out, the universe throws us a curve ball. So we have to improvise. We find happiness in unexpected places. We find our way back to the things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way, sometimes it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong.” – Meredith Grey
25. “The body is a slave to its impulses. But the thing that makes us human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has passed, we can cool off and clean up the messes we made. We can try to let go of what was.” – Meredith Grey
26. “We have to keep reinventing ourselves, almost every minute because the world can change in an instant.” – Meredith Grey
27. “Change: We don’t like it, we fear it, but we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change, or we get left behind. It hurts to grow, anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here’s the truth: Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good.” – Meredith Grey
28. “We have to constantly come up with new ways to fix ourselves.” – Meredith Grey
More Meredith Grey quotes about life
29. “Sometimes it’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose…” – Meredith Grey
30. “Sometimes change is everything.” – Meredith Grey
31. “The future is the home of our deepest fears and our wildest hopes. But one thing is certain: When it finally reveals itself, the future is never the way we imagined it.” – Meredith Grey
32. “So, do it. Decide. Is this the life you want to live? Is this the person you want to love? Is this the best you can be? Can you be stronger? Kinder? More compassionate? Decide. Breathe in. Breathe out and decide.” – Meredith Grey
33. “Knowing is better than wondering, waking is better than sleeping, and even the biggest failure, even the worst, beats the hell out of never trying.” – Meredith Grey
34. “We’ll try and we’ll fail again because that’s what progress looks like. Progress looks like a bunch of failures. And you’re going to have feelings about that because it’s sad, but you cannot fall apart. And then one day, we will succeed and save a person’s life and we will walk on the moon.” – Meredith Grey
35. “You gotta wonder why we cling to our expectations. Because the expected is just what keeps us steady… standing… still. The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected… is what changes our lives.” – Meredith Grey
36. “At some point, you have to make a decision. Boundaries don’t keep other people out. They fence you in. Life is messy. That’s how we’re made. So, you can waste your life drawing lines. Or you can live your life crossing them.” – Meredith Grey
37. “Life is not a spectator sport.” – Meredith Grey
38. “If there’s just one piece of advice I can give you, it’s this – when there’s something you really want, fight for it – don’t give up no matter how hopeless it seems. And when you’ve lost hope…ask yourself in 10 years from now…you’re gonna wish you gave it just one more shot. Because the best things in life, they don’t come free.” – Meredith Grey
You might also like our list of the best Blazing Saddles quotes of all time.
- 50 Beautiful Horse Quotes To Inspire You to Take a Ride
- 50 Great Princess Bride Quotes From the 80s Classic Film
- 50 Famous Coffee Quotes
- 50 Memorable Black Panther Quotes For the Culture
- 50 Coach Carter Quotes From the Inspiring Sports Drama
Relatable Meredith Grey quotes
39. “More tequila. More love. More anything. More is better.” – Meredith Grey
40. “Why does it feel so good to get rid of things? To unload? To let go?” – Meredith Grey
41. “We’re friends, real friends, and that means no matter how long it takes, when you finally decide to look back…I’ll still be here.” – Meredith Grey
42. “We’re adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop?” – Meredith Grey
43. “Who gets to determine when the old ends and the new begins?” – Meredith Grey
44. “We all think we’re going to be great. And we feel a little bit robbed when our expectations aren’t met.” – Meredith Grey
45. “Funny, isn’t it, the way memory works? The things you can’t quite remember, and the things you can never forget.” – Meredith Grey
46. “Deep down, everyone wants to believe they can be hardcore. But being hardcore isn’t just about being tough — it’s about acceptance.” – Meredith Grey
47. “Why do bad things happen to good people?” – Meredith Grey
48. “The ties that bind us are sometimes impossible to explain.” – Meredith Grey
49. “We see a line we want to cross it.” – Meredith Grey
50. “Responsibility, it really does suck.” – Meredith Grey
What do you like the most about Meredith Grey?
The character of Meredith Grey relates to millions of people across the globe because she isn’t afraid to get emotional. She wears her heart on her sleeve in a way that many often wish they could. One of Meredith Grey’s most memorable quotes, featured above, is from Season 2’s episode “Bring the Pain.” She confronts her love interest, David Shepherd, in an emotional monologue that ends with “So pick me. Choose me. Love me.”
There’s so much strength in vulnerability. Characters like Meredith Grey remind us that it’s okay to feel and embrace our emotions.