These hug quotes show just how much you can communicate through hugging.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words and while it’s not a popular saying like that, a hug can communicate more than words can as well. Hugs are both a way to celebrate and a way to provide comfort without saying a single word.
Why are hugs so powerful?
Hugs are good for family members, your significant other, children and yourself. It can be a powerful way to communicate a feeling with someone else. Sometimes there just aren’t words that can get across the message that you want to share and yet a simple hug can handle it all.
Enjoy this curated list of the best hug quotes and sayings. And don’t forget to share your opinion in the comment section below once you’re done reading.
Quotes about the power of a hug
1. “A hug is like a boomerang – you get it back right away.” – Bil Keane
2. “I have learned that there is more power in a good strong hug than in a thousand meaningful words.” – Ann Hood
3. “There’s something in a simple hug that always warms the heart. It welcomes us back home and makes it easier to part.” – Johnny Ray Ryder, Jr.
4. “A hug makes you feel good all day.” – Kathleen Keating
5. “Where I live if someone gives you a hug, it’s from the heart.” – Steve Irwin
6. “Getting people where they want to go, reliably and happily, can make or break their ability to succeed in a work endeavor or to hug a family member at an important moment.” – Oscar Munoz
7. “If you’re angry at a loved one, hug that person. And mean it. You may not want to hug – which is all the more reason to do so. It’s hard to stay angry when someone shows they love you, and that’s precisely what happens when we hug each other.” – Walter Anderson
8. “With age, you get to a place where you don’t want to knock people out. You just want to give people a hug.” – Vin Diesel
9. “Everbody needs a hug. It changes your metabolism.” – Leo Buscaglia
10. “A hug a day keeps the demons at bay.” – German Proverb
11. “Hugs can do great amounts of good – especially for children.” – Princess Diana
Hug quotes for when someone you love gives you a hug
12. “Millions and millions of years would still not give me half enough time to describe that tiny instant of all eternity when you put your arms around me and I put my arms around you.” – Jacques Prevert
13. “Ken, my husband, just smelled like he belonged to me. I’m not talking about hygience. I’m talking about when you hug him, he either feels like a member of your tribe or not. It’s their scent.” – Erica Jong
14. “Having a child, that’s huge. I get to go home and hug my daughter. That’s the greatest thing in the world.” – Nick Foles
15. “When the right person hugs you, it’s like medicine. I’m so grateful for those few people in my life who are good for my soul.” – Steve Maraboli
16. “The good part of having six kids is, there’s always one who wants to hug you and say, ‘Daddy, I love you.’” – John McEnroe
17. “Hugs are the universal medicine.” – Unknown
18. “Some moments can only be cured with a big squishy grandma hug.” – Dan Pearce
19. “However long a hug lasts, it doesn’t last long enough.” – Kyle Schmalenberg
20. “When I come home, my daughter will run to the door and give me a big hug, and everything that’s happened that day just melts away.” – Hugh Jackman
21. “Laughter with those that understand us is music for the soul. A hug at the right moment and a kind shoulder to lean on, Is the sprinkle of magic that keeps us walking towards hope.” – Mimi Novic
22. “A few weeks after my mom passed in November of 2013, I came back from an injury and entered the Egg Bowl in the second half against Ole Miss. I’ll never forger the feeling when I walked back out on the field. As I walked into the Egg Bowl, the crowd stood up and clapped like they were enveloping me in a giant hug.” – Dak Prescott
23. “Feel the presence of love wrapped up within a hug.” – Robert M. Hensel
24. “Mama hugs me and I hold her back. Sometimes all you can do is hold on.” – Jasmine Warga
Hug quotes on when to give one
25. “A hug is an amazing thing. It’s just the perfect way to show the love we’re feeling but can’t find the words to say.” – Johnny Ray Rider
26. “The world is a mess. It seems that life gets harder on a personal level each and every day. Hug and kiss those you love every day You never know when the tragedies of this world may visit your life.” – Kevin Nash
27. “Be a love pharmacist: dispense hugs like medicine—they are!” – Terri Guillemets
28. “I love meeting people, and I know it’s so difficult for people to come up to me and introduce themselves, so when they do, I’ll grab them and hug them. It makes their day, you know? I love that, and I get positive energy from that.” – Nicola Formichetti
29. “Hugs and kisses are ways to express what cannot be said.” – Kacie Conroy
30. “When you are hugging a child, always be the last one to let go. You never know how long they need it.” – Unknown
31. “A hug is a wonderful thing. It’s a marvelous gift to share. It’s a grand way to say; ‘I care.’ A hug communicates support, security, affection, unity, and belonging. A hug shows compassion. A hug brings delight. A hug charms the senses. A hug touches the soul.” – Unknown
32. “Sometimes a silent hug is the only thing to say.” – Robert Brault
33. “Sometimes all you can do is hug a friend tightly and wish that their pain could be transferred by touch to your own emotional hard drive.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
34. “That’s what people do who love you. They put their arms around you and love you when you’re not so lovable.” – Deb Caletti
35. “The first thing I do each morning is get out of bed and give my dog, Audrey, a hug. She’s a Jack Russell. I think having an animal is a wonderful thing, particularly dogs. They are great levelers, there’s no nonsense with them, and they just want simple affection.” – Donatella Versace
More hug quotes
36. “Hugs are one of the reasons God gave us arms. So, stretch out your arms to someone today. Reach out to those you love. It will warm the heart of the giver and give light to the soul of the recipient.” – Unknown
37. “A kiss without a hug is like a flower without the fragrance.” – Proverb
38. “We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth.” – Virginia Star
39. “I love hugging people. I still hug everybody in my meet-and-greet lines.” – Taylor Swift
40. “There’s nothing like a mama-hug.” – Terri Guillemets
41. “I don’t ever wanna come across too intimidating, so as long as I look like you can come up and give me a hug, that’s good.” – Jessica Simpson
42. “I will not play tug o’ war. I’d rather play hug o’ war. Where everyone hugs instead of tugs. Where everyone giggles and rolls on the rug. Where everyone kisses and everyone grins and everyone cuddles and everyone wins.” – Shel Silverstein
43. “Everyone knows that by far the happiest and universally enjoyable age of man is the first. What is there about babies which makes us hug and kiss and fondle them, so that even an enemy would give them help at that age?” – Desiderius Erasmus
44. “I wish I could just hug you all, but I’m not gonna.” – Layne Staley
45. “Children are not unforgiving. You can punish them and they will hug you in a few minutes.” – T.D. Jakes
46. “I love hugging. I wish I was an octopus, so I could hug ten people at a time.” – Drew Barrymore
47. “You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place. That’s why animals are so soft and huggy.” – Bill Watterson
48. “You know, food is such – it’s a hug for people.” – Rachael Ray
49. “I’d love to have a big old hug with Richard Simmons.” – Blake Shelton
50. “Laughing together is as close as you can get to a hug without touching.” – Gina Barreca
Which of these hug quotes resonated with you best?
Hugs are a simple thing that don’t need to be overthought. If you find yourself in a situation with a person that is grieving, sad or just feeling down, it may be difficult to come up with the right words to say. That’s the perfect time to simply offer a hug. Or if you are overjoyed with something that someone just shared and are excited for them, you can offer a simple hug.
A hug takes very little effort on your part but it can communicate a big message. However, remember that there are some people that are uncomfortable with hugs so make sure you know that they are receptive to it before you go hugging everyone.