Breakups are tough, and hopefully, these sad love quotes can help you to remember the happier times. Allow these sad quotes to inspire you to see a light at the end of the tunnel and push you past the heartache.
Sadness is a natural part of life that’s usually associated with certain experiences of loss or pain.
There are many things that could make us sad, such as the loss of a loved one, conflict, failure, helplessness and disappointment. These loneliness quotes speak to a time of prolonged sadness; the period where we feel we are on our own when it comes to battling life’s challenges.
What are some of the saddest quotes about life and love?
But despite all the pain associated with it, sadness has some benefits as well.
It serves to remind us of what gives our life meaning and what matters to us.
Besides, sadness can motivate you to put in the effort to reach a happier place.
Experts have also discovered that sadness helps one to think in a more detailed and attentive way.
Although it has some benefits, frequently feeling sad can impact your quality of life.
You can avoid this by taking proactive measures such as focusing on improving your well-being, taking actions to be happier, and sharing your feelings with a trusted one.
To help you through the hard times, here is our collection of uplifting, wise, and comforting sad quotes, sad sayings, and sad proverbs, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
If you’re suffering from a broken heart, don’t hesitate to read our compilation of comforting heart break quotes that will make you feel better.
Sad Love Quotes to Lift Your Spirits
1. “Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come in our relationships with others.” – Stephen R. Covey
2. Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together. – Unknown
3. It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love. – Miguel de Unamuno
4. “Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.” ― Faraaz Kazi
5. If we must part forever, Give me but one kind word to think upon, And please myself with, while my heart’s breaking. – Thomas Otway
6. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” – Ella Harper
7. There is one pain, I often feel, which you will never know. It’s caused by the absence of you. – Ashleigh Brilliant
8. When you think your first falling in love, just then you realize your falling out of love. – David Grayson
9. “You can close your eyes to things you don’t want to see, but you can’t close your heart to things you don’t want to feel.” – Johnny Depp
10. “Since I can’t be with you right now I will have to be content just dreaming about when we will be together again.” – Susan Polis Schutz
Also read these helpful domestic violence quotes for support and strength.
Sad love quotes to lighten your sorrows
11. I cannot eat, I cannot drink; the pleasures of youth and love are fled away: there was a good time once, but now that is gone, and life is no longer life. – Plato
12. “Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially it lightens up the world around you. Then it starts melting and hurt you. Finally it goes off and everything is darker than ever and all you are left with is the.. BURN!” ― Syed Arshad
13. “I wonder if I could take back every ‘I love you’ ever said to you, would I do it?” ― Faraaz Kazi
14. “You make me feel like a firefly. Trapped in a belljar; starved for love.” ― Ayushee Ghoshal
15. “People love each other for many reasons, not all of them good […]. They love each other because it’s easy. Or because they’re used to it. Or because they’ve given up. Or because they’re scared.” ― Nathan Hill
16. “He was acting like our kiss had broken him, and his reaction was breaking me.” ― Shannon A. Thompson
17. Love lies in those unsent drafts in your mailbox. Sometimes you wonder whether things would have been different if you’d clicked ‘Send’. – Faraaz Kazi
18. Part of me aches at the thought of her being so close yet so untouchable. – Nicholas Sparks
19. “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.” – Anais Nin
20. “It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.” ― Samuel Butler
- 105 Awesome Quotes On Knowing Your Worth and Value
- 50 Famous Coffee Quotes
- 50 Inspiring Friendship Quotes For Your Best Friend
- 18 COOL COFFEE QUOTES
- 50 Inspirational Knowledge Quotes for Those Who Love Learning
Sad quotes that might just change your outlook towards love and life
21. “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.” – Jim Rohn
22. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Kahlil Gibran
23. “There is a time for departure, even when there’s no certain place to go.” ― Tennessee Williams
24. “You can’t buy love, but you can pay heavily for it.” ― Henny Youngman
25. You meet everyone twice in this life, when they come and when they go.— C.C Aurel
26. Just let me keep the last piece of my heart before you tear it all apart.— Lykke Li
27. Sadness flies away on the wings of time. – Jean de La Fontaine
28. Never make a decision when you are upset, sad, jealous or in love. – Mario Teguh
29. It’s sad to know I’m done. But looking back, I’ve got a lot of great memories. – Bonnie Blair
30. Some days are just bad days, that’s all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that’s just the way it is! – Dita Von Teese
Don’t forget to also read these cheating quotes that will help you heal.
Sad quotes about love and life
31. Nothing is worse than when someone who’s supposed to love you just leaves.— Ava Dellaira
32. Tears come from the heart and not from the brain. – Leonardo da Vinci
33. I wish I could give you my pain just for one moment so you can understand how much you hurt me.— Mohsen El-guindy
34. A marriage is no amusement but a solemn act, and generally a sad one. –Queen Victoria
35. It hurts to leave a light on for nobody.— Graham Foust
36. “As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.”― Tabitha Suzuma
37. “Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.”― David Levithan
38. It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew. – Henry Rollins
39. Let my soul smile through my heart and my heart smile through my eyes, that I may scatter rich smiles in sad hearts. – Paramahansa Yogananda
40. Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever. – Mattie Stepanek
Sad love quotes to help fix a broken heart
41. “Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle
Everything I do is stitched with its color.”― W.S. Merwin
42. “He taught me how to love, but not how to stop.” ― Anonymous
43. “How could an Angel break my heart? Why didn’t he catch my falling star? I wish I didn’t wish so hard. Maybe I wished our love apart.” ― Tony Braxton
44. You ruin your love because you don’t think you deserve anything good.— Warsan Shire
45. The word ‘happy’ would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. – Carl Jung
46. First, accept sadness. Realize that without losing, winning isn’t so great. – Alyssa Milano
47. You can never control who you fall in love with, even when you’re in the most sad, confused time of your life. You don’t fall in love with people because they’re fun. It just happens. – Kirsten Dunst
48. Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody. – Stephen Chbosky
49. You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness. – Jonathan Safran Foer
50. It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses. – George Eliot
Also see these toxic relationship quotes that will encourage you to love yourself.
Sad quotes to get you through the tough times
51. The good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow. – Bob Marley
52. For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, “It might have been.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
53. Sadness is but a wall between two gardens. – Khalil Gibran
54. Sadness is also a kind of defence. – Ivo Andric
55. When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us. – Alexander Graham Bell
56. “Rather than crying & craving for those who left our path during dark moments of our life, lets spend some time to thank them who stood and helped us to pass those dark paths.”― Nehali Lalwani
57. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss
58. “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
59. “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” ― José N. Harris
60. “Tears are words that need to be written.” ― Paulo Coelho
Sad love quotes to inspire and teach
61. “Percy let me go, she croaked. You can’t pull me up. Never” ― Rick Riordan
62. “Who would have listened to his tales of woe when his love was the flickering lamp over his own decaying tomb?” ― Faraaz Kazi
63. “And in the end, I said you would love me. We’re in the end and there’s only one of us here.” ― Dominic Riccitello
64. “I’ll love you even when I can’t”
“I’ll love you even when I shouldn’t” ― Colleen Hoover
65. “Me wondering why they don’t say nothing about a kiss being salty as a tear.” ― Lindsay Hunter
66. “Sometimes you don’t realize how much you care for someone until they stop caring for you.” – Anonymous
67. “The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.”- Jim Rohn
68. “There is no disguise which can hide love for long where it exists, or simulate it where it does not.” – La Rochefoucauld
69. “Hearts are not had as a gift, But hearts are earned…” – William Butler Yeats
70. “Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love.” – Charlie Brown
Sad love quotes to cheer you up
71. “The worst feeling in the world is knowing you’ve done everything you can to show someone you love them, and yet they still choose someone else over you.” – Bernajoy Vaal
72. “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – E.A. Bucchianeri
73. “Hearts can break. Yes, hearts can break. Sometimes I think it would be better if we died when they did, but we don’t.” – Stephen King
74. “The worst feeling is not being lonely. It’s when someone makes you feel special, then suddenly leaves you and you have to pretend you don’t mind at all.” – Nishan Panwar
75. “Hearts are breakable. Even when you heal, you’re never what you were before.” – Cassandra Clare
76. “You are supposed to dry my tears, not cause them….” – Unknown
77. “I felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. you wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone.” – James Dashner
78. “Missing someone special to you bring tears to your eyes, but remembering all the good times you had brings a smile to your face.” – Nishan Panwar
79. “I just wanted to tell you that I understand if you go. It’s okay if you have to leave us. It’s okay if you want to stop fighting.” – Gayle Forman
80. “I wore your promise on my finger for one year. I’ll wear your name on my heart till I die. Because you were my boy, you were my only boy forever.” – Coco J. Ginger
81. “Sometimes we get sad about things and we don’t like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret. Or sometimes, we are sad but we really don’t know why we are sad, so we say we aren’t sad but we really are.”– Mark Haddon
82. “The sweetest part of being a couple is sharing your life with someone else. But my life, evidently, had not been good enough to share.” – Charlaine Harris
83. “It still hurts that you’re doing completely okay, without me.” – Unknown
84. “Tears are words the mouth can’t say nor can the heart bear.”– Joshua Wisenbaker
85. “A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.” – Unknown
Sad love quotes about heartbreak
86. “One day you’re going to remember me and how much I loved you… then you’re gonna hate yourself for letting me go.” – Aubrey Drake Graham
87. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Richard Puz
88. “Don’t cry when the sun is gone, because the tears won’t let you see the stars.” – Violeta Parra
89. “Love is the most beautiful of dreams and the worst of nightmares.” – Aman Jassal
90. “The heart was made to be broken.” – Oscar Wilde
91. “A broken heart is just the growing pains necessary so that you can love more completely when the real thing comes along.” – J.S.B. Morse
92. “The clouds wept when my heart sang a song of sorrow.” – Sonya Watson
93. “Unrequited love is the infinite curse of a lonely heart.” – Christina Westover
94. “Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.” – Mandy Hale
95. “The way to my heart was shattered when you left me, but I was glad because your memories were invulnerable, locked inside my heart.” – Anmol Rawat
96. “It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.” – Sara Teasdale
97. “I understand that if you have never suffered a broken heart, then you have never really known what it is to truly be alive.” – Patti Roberts
98. “I’d rather love a million times and have my heart broken every time, than hold a permanently empty heart forever.” – H.C. Paye
99. “I know my heart will never be the same but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay.” – Sara Evans
100. “The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.” – Carroll Bryant
More sad love quotes
101. “You know, I’ll be loving you still. The nights are lonely, the days are so sad and I just keep thinking about the love that we had. And I’m missing you and nobody knows it but me.” – Shayne Ward
102. “Losing someone hurts but if you truly love them you should let them go, one day you’ll be reunited.” – Unknown
103. “Love is never supposed to hurt. Love is supposed to heal, to be your haven from misery, to make living worthwhile.” – Mia Asher
104. “It’s the love that goes through the hardest trials and survives that’s worth having.” – Katie Ashley
105. “Just because we can’t be together doesn’t mean I don’t love you.” –Cecily von Ziegesar
Which are your favorite sad love quotes
Feelings of sadness are inevitable in life. No matter your status, you’re bound to experience sadness at some point in your life.
It could be as a result of death, break-ups, failure, conflict, or any other undesirable event.
Luckily, there are things you can do to overcome sadness.
Hopefully, these sad quotes have helped lift your spirits and given you ideas on how to cope with sadness.